Sunday, April 19, 2009

quiche me, quick!

Recently, I have rediscovered the joy, the ease, the simplicity, the versatility, and the yumminess of quiche. It started last weekend, Easter Sunday. Coming home from the church service where I preached, I was suddenly craving a good quiche. I suspect it had something to do with the myriad images of colored eggs bombarding me. Perhaps my body was just craving protein. Regardless, I wanted quiche. Having been reminded of how amazingly easy making quiche is, especially with a store bought crust (it was a last minute craving. besides, we don't have room to roll out a crust in our tiny, urban kitchen), I volunteered to make a quiche for brunch at our friends' house this weekend. Both quiches turned out spectacularly well. And this is (more or less) how they were made:

Ingredients:

  • 1 - 9 in. pie crust (you can buy one like I did, or make your own and feel superior to me)
  • lots of fresh veggies, about 1-2 cups when chopped and cooked
    - for the Easter quiche, I used what vegetables we had on hand (zucchini, mushrooms, and spinach)
    - for the latest quiche, I used fresh asparagus
  • 1/2 medium onion, chopped - onions are listed separately from vegetables as I consider them to be an essential base ingredient for most any dish
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 3-4 eggs
  • 1/2 c. yogurt (or just a big serving-spoonful)
  • 1 tsp. nutmeg
  • 1 Tbsp. dried or 2 Tbsp. fresh herbs (rosemary, basil, tarragon, you choose. I used tarragon; this is a new herb for me, and I am just discovering its versatility. I didn't use this in the first quiche, but it worked really well in the second.) (as always, meaurements are rough guesses/suggestions)
  • 1/2 c. grated cheese (we used mozzarella as we had it on hand, but cheddar, colby, or monterey jack would work, too) (and we didn't exactly measure the cheese. Craig grated it and it looked to be a little more)
  • 1/4 c. grated parmesan cheese
  • salt and fresh ground pepper

Making the Quiche:

  • Preheat oven to 350
  • Prick holes in the bottom of the pie crust and partially bake, say 5 min
  • Saute onion and garlic (with a little salt and pepper) on medium heat until soft, about 2 minutes
  • Add other vegetables, cook for another minute or two, remove from heat
  • Beat eggs and yogurt together.
  • Beat in nutmeg and herbs to egg mixture
  • Stir in cheeses and cooked veggies to egg mixture
  • Pour egg mixture into pie crust
  • Bake for 30-40 minutes, until golden and completely cooked in center

Enjoy.

Please leave a comment and let me know if you try this recipe.

1 comment: