Sunday, March 29, 2009

Seitan Adobo (crock pot style)

Most luau foods are not so vegetarian-friendly. So I had to make them so.

Adobo is the Filipino national dish, and a favorite among the people of Hawaii. Usually it is made with chicken and/or pork. Here is my adaptation of adobo, using seitan (or wheat meat). I also used a slow-cooker for my own convenience. (All of the recipes I found called for meat to be marinated for several hours then cooked on the stove.)

Seitan Adobo

Ingredients:
  • 2 lbs. seitan (can be bought at most supermarkets, though I make my own)
  • 1/2 c. rice vinegar
  • 1/2 c. soy sauce
  • 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper
  • 2 tsp. brown sugar
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced or crushed
Preparation:
  • cut/rip seitan into bite-size pieces
  • whisk together all other ingredients
  • combine all ingredients in 4 qt. slow cooker
  • cook on low for 6 hours, stirring occasionally
Serve over rice.

Enjoy your vegetarian luau.

Please leave a comment and let me know if you try this recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment